follow us: @_EalingNews
call us: 07488 352 974
email us: news@ealing.news

Battery warning after fire in Park Royal office

Firefighters are reminding members of the public to follow lithium ion battery safety advice after a fire at an office block in Park Royal destroyed part of a first floor office last Friday (10 May 2024).

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by a lithium-ion battery within a speaker..

The Brigade was called at 5:49pm to the office building on Abbey Road and the incident was over for firefighters at 7:06pm. Crews from Acton, Wembley, Willesden and Ealing fire stations attended the incident.

Twenty people left the building before the Brigade arrived and there were no reports of any injuries.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Lithium batteries are susceptible to failure if incorrect chargers are used, so it’s important to always use the correct charger for the product and buy an official one from a reputable seller.

“You should unplug your charger when you have finished using it and we would advise not to leave it unattended or charging while people are asleep.

“Batteries can present a fire risk if they’re over-charged, short circuited, submerged in water or damaged, so it’s really important to protect them against being damaged too.

“Try to ensure they are not getting knocked around while in use or while being carried as this can increase the chance of damage to cells.”

Are you an Ealing resident with a story to share? Or spotted something we should know about?
Get in touch with us by emailing: news@ealing.news or tweet us on Twitter @_EalingNews

SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE TO THE EALING.NEWS NEWSLETTER

GET OUR GREAT NEWS, FEATURES, REVIEWS AND MORE DIRECT TO YOUR INBOX

SUPPORT JOURNALISM IN EALING

LATEST EALING.NEWS UPDATES

MORE FROM EALING.NEWS