Ealing Central and Acton MP, Dr Rupa Huq has challenged Deputy Prime Minister Dominic Raab to ensure the Government abolishes no fault evictions which she says is causing concern amongst residents across the borough.
At Prime Minister’s Questions last week, Dr Huq asked the deputy PM standing in for PM Rishi Sunak who was in Bali for the G20 Summit: “Does the Deputy Prime Minister’s comeback and the new direction of tomorrow signal that the ban on no fault evictions from the last manifesto is all back on after zilch from the last Prime Minister?”
In 2019 the Conservative Party Manifesto announced intentions to abolish Section 21 no fault evictions. This rule currently allows landlords to evict tenants without a reason and give them a minimum of two months’ notice to vacate the residence. To date the Government has not acted on this and this rule still stands.
In response to the question, Mr Raab replied: “I know my Right Honourable friend the Housing Secretary is looking at all of these matters. I won’t prejudice what further measures he’s going to come forward with. But I will ask him to write to you to address the specific proposals you’re making”.
Dr Huq said she was “disappointed to not receive a more specific answer”.
Watch Dr Rupa Huq ask her question
Dr Huq also revealed the impact Section 21 has on her constituents. She highlighted one family of five who were evicted where two members are disabled. Dr Huq also said another Acton resident was having issues as her landlord refused to provide her with a proper eviction notice and so couldn’t get help from Ealing Council as a result.
Dr Huq added: “I remain optimistic that the Conservatives will act on this. It’s not about right and left but right and wrong. It was later confirmed in Parliament on Monday that plans to end no fault evictions will go ahead but there is still no concrete date, and I will be pressing for this.”