London firefighters have issued a smoking safety reminder and warning after a fire in a bedsit above a shop in Bilton Road, Perivale earlier this week (2 August 2023).
According to the London Fire Brigade, part of a bedsit above a shop was damaged by fire. One adult left the property before firefighters arrived. There were no reports of any injuries.
The fire is being treated as accidental and is believed to have been caused by unsafe use of smoking materials.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “We’d rather you didn’t smoke at all, but if you are a smoker, it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it. If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy properties but also cost you your life.”
The Brigade was called at 4:56pm and the fire was brought under control by 6:09pm. Three fire engines from Northolt and Acton fire stations attended the scene.
Firefighters’ smoking safety tips
- Use proper ashtrays, which can’t tip over and stub cigarettes out properly.
- Don’t leave lit pipes or cigarettes unattended.
- It’s safer to smoke outside, but make sure cigarettes are put right out and disposed of properly.
- Don’t balance cigars or cigarettes on the edge of an ashtray, or anything else – they can tip and fall as they burn away and cause a fire.
- Take extra care when you’re tired, taking prescription drugs or if you’ve been drinking alcohol.·
- Always empty ashtrays carefully. Make sure smoking materials are out, cold and preferably wet them before throwing into a bin – never use a wastepaper basket.