follow us: @_EalingNews
call us: 07488 352 974
email us: news@ealing.news

Firefighters issue warning over dangers of candles following fire in Southall

The London Fire Brigade has issued a warning over the dangers of candles following a fire at a block of flats on The Green in Southall on Tuesday.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by a tealight candle which saw half of a three roomed flat on the third floor of the block damaged by the fire. The Green was shut between South Road and Beverstone during the incident which saw firefighters from Southall, Feltham, Hayes and Ealing fire stations attend.

The Brigade was called at 1:13pm and the fire was under control by 2.33pm and there were no reports of any injuries.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Fires can cause devastation all year round, but this is heightened around Christmas with families potentially left homeless and possessions destroyed. We want to ensure Londoners take every precaution to prevent fires from spoiling the festive period.

“Keep candles well away from any Christmas decorations. Decorations can easily fuel a fire and as Christmas trees dry out, they can burn quickly and cause flames to spread in seconds.

“Consider using battery-powered, flameless LED candles instead, which are safe even if you fall asleep. Whilst they may cost more upfront than traditional candles, they will last considerably longer, giving you better value for money.

“If you do choose to use traditional candles ensure you place them in a heat-resistant holder, on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over and away from materials that could catch fire. Never leave them unattended around your home, take particular care with children and pets and blow them out properly before you go to bed.

“Whether you’re spending Christmas at home, or away with friends or family, take some time to carry out a few simple checks to keep yourself and your loved ones safe.

“The Brigade’s online Home Fire Safety Checker can guide you around your home and provide you with specific advice to reduce fire risks.”

Are you an Ealing resident with a story to share? Or spotted something we should know about?
Get in touch with us by emailing: news@ealing.news or tweet us on Twitter @_EalingNews

SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE TO THE EALING.NEWS NEWSLETTER

GET OUR GREAT NEWS, FEATURES, REVIEWS AND MORE DIRECT TO YOUR INBOX

SUPPORT JOURNALISM IN EALING

LATEST EALING.NEWS UPDATES

MORE FROM EALING.NEWS