follow us: @_EalingNews
call us: 07488 352 974
email us: news@ealing.news

Firefighters tackle flat fire in Greenford caused by chip pan

Firefighters have issued a cooking safety warning after safely leading a woman and a child from a flat fire on The Broadway in Greenford in the early hours of Tuesday (22 November 2022).

Firefighters from Southall, Ealing and Northolt fire stations tackled a small fire in the kitchen of a second-floor flat.  According to the London Fire Brigade, 10 adults and five children left the building via an internal staircase. There were no reports of any injuries.

The Brigade was called at 2.21am and the fire was under control by 3.07am.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by an unattended chip pan.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Cooking should never be left unattended on the hob or grill – if you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat. Chip pans and cooking with hot oil can be really dangerous and the risk increases when you start frying food more than once.”

They added: “All it can take is for you to become distracted for a few seconds and your cooking oil can quickly go up in flames.”

The Brigade was called at 2.21am and the fire was under control by 3.07am.

Firefighters’ tips for safer cooking

  • Take extra care when cooking with hot oil as it can easily overheat and catch fire
  • Never fill the pan more than one third full of fat or oil
  • Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil – oil and water are a dangerous mix
  • Use an electronic deep fat fryer if possible – they have automatic temperature controls and are much safer

Are you an Ealing resident with a story to share? Or spotted something we should know about?
Get in touch with us by emailing: news@ealing.news or contact us on X @_EalingNews

SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE TO THE EALING.NEWS NEWSLETTER

GET OUR GREAT NEWS, FEATURES, REVIEWS AND MORE DIRECT TO YOUR INBOX

SUPPORT JOURNALISM IN EALING

LATEST EALING.NEWS UPDATES

MORE FROM EALING.NEWS