An inquest has concluded accidental death of a student who suffered an anaphylactic shock at a Southall restaurant in 2018.
The inquest at West London Coroner’s Court heard that 24-year-old Tania Kaur Khasriya had been dining at the Mehfil Restaurant in The Green for her brother’s pre-wedding celebration and the dish she ate contained nuts.
Tania was taken to Ealing Hospital and was then moved in 2019 to Chalfont Lodge, a nursing centre in Buckinghamshire.
A statement from the London Ambulance Service said they attended to reports of an “unconscious 18-year-old’ who had gone into cardiac arrest”.
The statement added: “She had attempted to use her own inhaler with nil effect and then collapsed.”
Tania’s family said they told the Mehfil about her nut allergies. The restaurant said they were not told and showed a booking form which contained no details of her allergies.
Senior coroner Lydia Brown recorded a conclusion of accidental death. She said: “Tania had a catastrophic collapse at the wedding banquet of her brother in July 2018. On the balance of probabilities, this was in fact an anaphylactic response to a dish with nuts.
“It had not been possible to establish exactly what she ate, but due to the severity of her response, this was indeed an anaphylactic response to her exposure. This was clearly an unwanted and unexpected outcome to what was meant to have been the most joyous of occasions. It is a terrible loss to her family.”