Nine people were taken to hospital after a chemical incident at Gold’s Gym in Hanwell on Monday evening.
According to London Fire Brigade, dangerous fumes are believed to have resulted from a mixture of chemicals which produced chlorine gas and required an evacuation of Gold’s Gym.
Around 70 people were evacuated from the gym which saw firefighters being called at 8:35pm and they worked for three hours dealing with the incident before leaving at 11.48pm. Two fire engines from Ealing and Southall fire stations and a fire and rescue unit from Wembley Fire Station attended the scene.
Firefighters ventilated the building after high levels of chlorine gas were detected following an investigation. The firefighters, wearing hazardous materials suits, also cleaned up a chemical spillage inside a plant room.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Most cleaning chemicals are either acid or alkali based – and if they were to be mixed, there is a very real risk that there will be a chemical reaction. This reaction can often release a harmful, irritable or even toxic gas which can have an incredibly strong smell and have a harmful effect on anyone breathing in these gases, especially the young and the elderly.
“Inhaling this gas can cause breathing difficulties as well as choking and irritation of the airway. The gas can also cause eyes to water and, in stronger concentrations, can cause loss of consciousness. If you accidentally cause this chemical reaction, it is vital you leave the premises immediately and call 999.”