follow us: @_EalingNews
call us: 07488 352 974
email us:

Match Report: Ealing Trailfinders 64 – 33 Nottingham

After a blistering start, Ealing Trailfinders scored 10 tries to run out 64-33 winners against Nottingham.

It took only four minutes for Ealing to break the deadlock, as a beautifully weighted Craig Willis grubber kick bounced into the hands of Jonah Holmes to allow him to score in the corner.

Five minutes later Ealing were in again, this time it was through a screamer from Jordan Burns. Nottingham knocked the ball on inside Ealing’s 22 and it was quickly transferred to Burns who sprinted clear, before skinning the final man to score underneath the sticks.

A minute later Trailfinders scored again. With good turnover ball they managed to shift the ball wide and made good meters. Although they were pulled down just short, Ealing remained patient before exploiting the overlap and putting Holmes in for his second.

It took only 17 minutes for Trailfinders to add the bonus point and for the Welsh International to complete his hat-trick, as Holmes intercepted a Nottingham pass and scored in the corner.

After the blistering start, it was understandable that the rate of scoring was going to drop off slightly, but just as Nottingham looked like they were building into the game, Reuben Bird-Tulloch pounced on a loose ball and ran it in from 50 metres out.

On the stroke of half-time, the visitors were camped on Ealing’s line. Despite a yellow card for centre Steven Shingler after repeated team penalties, the defence stood firm and the half-time score was Ealing Trailfinders 33-0 Nottingham.

As the teams came back out for the second half, Ealing hit the ground running as Burns went in for his second after a great break and offload from Carlo Tizzano.

After this start Ealing would have hoped to have kicked on, but the next five minutes were something to forget from a Trailfinders perspective. Firstly Nottingham scored straight from the restart, before they added their second and third tries two and four minutes later after capitalising on some loose Ealing passes.

After this brief lapse in concentration, Ealing regrouped and managed to re-establish their dominance. Despite being a forward down after Kyle Whyte was sent to the bin, Trailfinders won back-to-back scrum penalties which allowed them to set up a rolling maul from five metres out and Simon Uzokwe was able to dot down.

With 12 minutes to go and the score at 47-21, many may have expected the scoring to end there but there were still six tries to be added.

The first of these saw Uzokwe grab his second following on from an outstanding break from debutant Jack Grant. Nottingham responded five minutes later through a rolling maul try of their own to see them take a deserved try bonus point.

After his great break, it was now the turn of Jack Grant to score a three minute brace. Firstly he got on the end of a beautiful free flowing move to dot down from close range, before moments later he identified space on the blindside of the scrum and executed a great 1-2 to score in the corner.

In the final play of the game, Nottingham’s Harry Graham went over from close range to make the full-time score: Ealing Trailfinders 64-33 Nottingham

Ealing Trailfinders next fixture is the Championship Cup match against Hartpury University this Sunday 6th November at Trailfinders Sports Club, kick-off 3pm (click here for tickets).

Are you an Ealing resident with a story to share? Or spotted something we should know about?
Get in touch with us by emailing: or tweet us on Twitter @_EalingNews