follow us: @_EalingNews
call us: 07488 352 974
email us:

Match Report: Ealing Trailfinders fell to their first home defeat of the season to Coventry 19-22

Ealing Trailfinders fell to their first home defeat of the season, as a strong second half performance from Coventry saw the visitors pull off a 19-22 victory.

It was a game that started quickly, with Coventry going on the attack immediately and Pat Pellegrini slotting an early penalty inside the first three minutes.

This early score fired the Trailfinders into life as pressure was able to force a scrum and then from there they were able to win a penalty. A kick to the corner saw the rolling maul set up and although it was illegally stopped, Carlo Tizzano was able to crash over from the subsequent phases. Craig Willis added the extras and it was 7-3.

Both sides then took it turns to attack, with each defence just holding firm to prevent the opposition from crossing the line. This was until the 23rd minute when a powerful rolling maul allowed Tizzano to extend his lead at the top of the league’s try scoring charts. Willis converted to make it 14-3.

The next ten minutes saw three yellow cards, with Rob Farrar being binned for a high tackle, before Josh Bainbridge was penalised for illegally stopping a dominant Trailfinders’ rolling maul near his own line to make it 14 against 14. Then with five minutes to go in the first-half, Bobby De Wee was also shown a yellow for an illegal tackle.

With the half-time whistle approaching, Coventry went on the attack but were unable to get over. Half-time score: Ealing Trailfinders 14-3 Coventry.

After the break, Coventry started the second-half much like the first, quickly! Repeated penalties saw them gain field position, before Rhys Thomas crashed over on the 46 minute mark.

With all the momentum, the visitors went on the attack again and ten minutes later Thomas secured his brace after breaking off on the back of a rolling maul. The try edged Coventry in front 14-15 and they well and truly had their tails up.

With just under 20 minutes to go De Wee was shown a red card for a head-on-head collision and Trailfinders were facing an up hill battle until the end of the game.

With the extra man, replacement Lucas Titherington was able to score Coventry’s third try and as Pellegrini converted he extended their lead to two scores.

Despite being down in numbers and on the scoreboard, Trailfinders refused to give up. Quick and clinical play saw them slowly edge up the field and into the Coventry 22. After winning a penalty, Jordan Burns took it quickly and almost put Reuben Bird-Tulloch over, but although he was pulled down inches short, the ball was quickly spun out to Luke Daniels who dotted down in the corner to make it 19-22 with three minutes to go.

Sadly for the hosts, it was too little, too late as Coventry were able to close out the game.

Ealing Trailfinders next home fixture is on Saturday 11th February against Nottingham in the Championship Cup. Kick-off is 3pm at Trailfinders Sports Club with tickets on sale here.

Full-time score: Ealing Trailfinders 19-22 Coventry

Are you an Ealing resident with a story to share? Or spotted something we should know about?
Get in touch with us by emailing: or contact us on X @_EalingNews